I might have mentioned this before, but when my feet begin moving my thoughts begin wandering. As do my hands for that matter. I guess I am a sight to be seen at times because I move my hands in step and sometimes I am muttering to myself. This isn’t like a march and mutter, but more of a go with the flow movement with my lips moving. I usually lock it up before anyone sees me, but I think there have been a couple close calls.
The topics of thought vary on my mood and hunger level. If I am hungry and I am trying to pass the time I make lists of random and interesting things. The one that I have spent the most time on is a list of great dog names. This list is not as creepy as baby names. I am not looking to have to name a human anytime soon, but I am planning on having a bajillion dogs. Plus dog names can be ridiculous. So here is my list thus far in no particular order:
Genghis
Romulus and Remus (preferably brothers from the same litter)
Chronic
Cronus
Vulcan
Purple
Kitty
I have also started a list of things that I should know about but are absolutely clueless about. This list is a little more practical and is ever growing:
Changing a tire
Motors and cars in general
How to make cheese and yogurt
Capitals of all the countries- well, the important ones
There are also the stupid lists that need to be made like grocery list, and packing lists for my semester abroad (which is coming absurdly soon). However, if I am lucky, my thoughts are more introspective and, honestly, trippy. There is something about being alone in a forest or alpine meadow that makes people squirrely. My squirreliness comes out in my thoughts. I have recently started rereading Walden which is extremely stereotypical for my situation. Alas, here is the passage that I have really come to appreciate.
“I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavours to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; new, universal, and more liberal laws will begin to establish themselves around and within him; or the old laws be expanded, and interpreted in his favour in a more liberal sense, and he will live with the license of a higher order of beings. In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness. If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.”
Heyo, this post A) was really good and B)reminded me how much I'm going to (and already do) miss you.
ReplyDeleteGo do what makes you happy. It makes all of us happy too, even if we miss you.
Casey