Sunday, June 13, 2010

Karma and Family

I'll start by saying that I am stuck in Denver for the night. I am not actually "stuck" because that implies a horrible situation that I cannot enjoy. I on the other hand just finished up dinner with three cousins that I rarely get to see, and tomorrow I am meeting up with my father again. Rather I'll say I am slightly off track from my intended destination. This is why I am in Denver right now:

I got on the plane and sat comfortably in my aisle seat. It was a 777 and I was on the aisle seat in the middle 5 seat section. A woman sat next to me and immediately turned around to talk to the man sitting behind her. After listening in on their conversation (airports/planes always rekindle my passion in people watching) I realized they were a newly married couple and their seats had been messed up so they were no longer able to sit next to each other. As a lone traveler I turned to them and graciously gave up my seat for the man's middle one so that they could sit together. Whatever... I was planning on sleeping anyway and I could store this good deed in the karma bank. FALSE. After I sat down my fellow travelers trickled in around me. The woman sitting next to me tried to sit down but was too large and didn't fit in the space the arm rests allotted. Then the a man sat next to me had the same affliction. He then turned to me and said, "They should just put the seat belt extenders in the seat back pocket." Both of my neighbors overflowed into my seat. Screw you instant karma.

The plane pushed back and then everything immediately went dark. Apparently we had a faulty battery and would be sitting at the gate for about an hour. Again, screw you instant karma (although I do appreciate the battery failing on the ground and not above Kansas.) The only good thing was the personal television in front of me that streamed Arrested Development and Life for the entire flight. However to utilize this feature I had to press button on the arm rest. This arm rest was perfectly situated under a blanket right next to my neighbor's breast and to access it I had to gingerly slide my hand under her blanket and fiddle with the buttons so not to wake her. This worked the first couple times, but she finally woke up to what looked like a stranger trying to cop a feel.

Needless to say, the flight was delayed and I missed my connection. The next flight to Portland was at 9pm and I could not get a ride to Detroit, OR. And this is where I cashed in on the karma bank. My uncle was able to pick my up at the airport and my two cousins came for dinner. On top of that, my father called me up and said a client in oregon that he had been trying to get a hold of for about a month just called up and would love to meet. He would be flying out to Portland tomorrow and could drive me to Detroit and had an extra day to explore Willamette National Forest.

In the end I learned that good things happen to good people and that my familial safety net spans the US. While all the other delayed travelers are alone in hotel rooms, or worse, still making their way to there destinations, I chose the slower but more relaxed route. I saw people yelling at flight attendants, screaming at phones, and crying when they didn't make stand by.

I just hope I don't miss too much important stuff on my first day of training.



Cheers,
Day Walker Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment